I have decided

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

One year ago we got in a pool with a group of people watching us, and got dunked... getting dunked by my brother would usually frighten me, but this time it was amazing (despite being slapped in the face and almost strangled - see video haha).

The weekend before we moved to Melbourne, we had lunch with a few close friends and family and were baptised, prayed for, and sent out by them. It was a special time.

What is baptism? I recently read this in, Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist:

The word sea-change is from Shakespeare, from The Tempest: a man is thrown into the sea, and under the water he is transformed from what he was into something entirely new, something "rich and strange."
The beautiful and obvious connection, of course: baptism. We are tipped backward into the water, and raised into new life. We leave behind the old – the sin, the regret, the failings, and we rise out of the water cleansed, made new. A sea-change if there ever was one. 

Check out this video of the afternoon:

I'm getting all reflective, thinking about being in Melbourne for a year and what God has done in and through us. Our baptisms were just the start...

We wore t-shirts (thanks Hillsong) that said, I Have Decided on them, sung a song called Christ Is Enough (thanks Hillsong) where we declared what we have decided, and both wrote down lists of things that we have decided to put to death and things to bring to life.
Putting to Death
Bringing to Life
Christ is enough for me, Christ is enough for me.
Everything I need is in you, everything I need.

I have decided to follow Jesus, 
No turning back, no turning back.
Christ Is Enough, Hillsong 

In the lead up to that day I wrote a list of things that I have decided... Here are four of them:
  • to care less about impressing people and more about impressing God
  • that sickness will not rule in my body
  • to do whatever is best for God's glory and my good, with no consideration of time or money
  • to never become so grown up that I forget whose child I am and stop being dependent upon Him
And in the past year, God has enabled these things as we have stepped out in faith and boldness. He has put us out into deep water, and there's nowhere I'd rather be...

These were fitting lyrics that we also sang that day (and at our wedding). They ring so true.

Can a child presume to choose where or how to live;
Can a Father's love refuse the best there is to give!?
And whatever the future brings, glorify Thy name.
Father Let Me Dedicate, Matt Redman 


Yes, we had been baptised before (Rod as an infant and Mez as a teenager; not by full immersion) but decided to again for a number of reasons... feel free to ask us why if you want to know!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Instagram Feed