Looking humble

Monday, March 12, 2018

There’s a kind of false modesty that is really common
but rarely works…
in fact, it never works

False modesty is just another form of pride,
it simply draws more attention to ourselves.

In trying to deflect compliments or praise, we talk ourselves down.
“Oh I did nothing”
“No, don’t say that”
“It wasn’t me, it was all you”

And I know what people are trying to do, I understand,
But in attempting to deflect the compliment,
we end up pointing to ourselves;
just a lower picture of us.


For years I couldn’t take a compliment.
I was always deflecting, always denying.
It did two things:
  1. It discouraged those who were trying to encourage me. Why try and compliment someone who’s just going to throw it in your face.
  2. It stored up more pride in my heart - "Yeah, another compliment deflected, I must look real humble."
No, I didn’t, I looked like someone with a pride to hide.



Charles Spurgeon said:
“Humility is to make a right estimate of oneself.”

Humility is not weakness or doubt.
Humility is knowing exactly who you are
and being secure enough
to not make a big deal about it.

This week's devotional is a call to give up your pride - easier said than done.
Share your story with us on what it's like to be #givingup



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Instagram Feed