Best intentions

Friday, January 22, 2016

I start each year with the best of intentions.
Plans for relationships, health, work;
Desires for growth in faith, character, love;
Dreams of something bigger and better or safer and simpler.
I'm sure we've all been there...

But there's a big difference between
intentions and
being intentional.

In the past few years I think I've had the best of intentions, without actually being very intentional. I mean well, I have ideas, I may even have made some resolutions... but that's not enough,
not even close.

My Utmost For His Highest is a challenging book and a lofty calling. My Utmost, my best; for his highest, for his glory. 

"Shut out every other thought and keep yourself before God in this one thing only" [Oswald Chambers] 

On January 5, 2015 I wrote in my journal: "If last year was about learning to be bold, 2015 has to be about living it. I don't need more excuses, now is the time." I had the best of intentions.

There's a big difference between intentions and being intentional. 

I want to live in a constant state of expectancy,
to live my life on purpose, not go through the motions,
to sail, not drift.
Father, this year, let it be more than a good intention.



Seeking, listening, looking, walking.
Being bold, active, open.
Intentional.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I said yesterday that I much prefer planning than actually having to do the thing. It's a disturbingly true statement!
    Maybe the effort, or potential imperfections/failures daunt me and I enjoy that once it's planned but not acted on yet it's all going well but it's not "going" at all until it's acted out and it doesn't really need to be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love a good plan too!
      I think you're right, it takes energy and guts to put yourself out there and really go for it. Don't worry about stumbling - life is a journey and journeys are messy.

      Delete
  2. So good!
    "live my life on purpose, not go through the motions,
    to sail, not drift.
    Father, this year, let it be more than a good intention." YES!
    XChillyX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm keen to keep praying that prayer and seeing what happens. It's a good prayer for everyone

      Delete

Like us on Facebook

Instagram Feed