Goodbye to things

Saturday, February 20, 2016




Last week we packed up all our things. We farewelled our beloved home, our beloved friends, our beloved family. We said goodbye. 
All of our worldly possessions were in a truck, and those few things that we needed (or were too difficult or explosive to pack in a truck) were in our car. We left Sydney with our car and left for Melbourne.


We drove to Canberra to stay with dear friends. Those kind of friends who you just want to stay with and have as much time with as you can get; those that pray for you and you wonder why all relationships aren't like this; those who offer hospitality and understanding and friendship selflessly. Those who you want to share your life with.
Friends who are a great reminder of God with us.

We arrived, unpacked a few possessions from the car, and were about to toast to our new adventure, then bang.
The noise you don't want to hear when you have 700 kilometres to drive in the morning.
And the unwelcome words, "that was your car."

We ventured outside and ordained a meeting between these neighbours. We were met with our car smashed in on the side. To be honest, I was relieved, as I genuinely thought our car had exploded! Instead at high reversing speed and with the intensity only a bike rack can offer, we had two very sad looking doors.


What about the things inside?!
Is the gas bottle going to explode?!
Is our truck ok?!
Will we be ok without our things?!
What if we had to start with nothing, if everything was stripped completely bare, could I cope?!

None of this happened. This is my wild imagination. Our car is roadworthy (just the door doesn't seal). Our truck didn't crash or roll onto its side. Most of our things arrived in one piece.

God was saying to me to put my trust in him, not in things.


I'm reminded of Jonah, and him calling out to God, confessing,

"those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs" [2:8].

I hadn't turned from God, I was walking into his plan and purpose for my life, but in worrying about things, about stuff, about earthly possessions; I was forfeiting all that he had to offer me. In clinging to my possessions, even subconsciously, even for a moment, I was missing out on the riches of all of God's goodness available to me.

Do you not remember my love for you?
Do you not remember my faithfulness?
Do you not know how merciful I am?
Do you not know that I am your true love?
I am always loyal, always have the best for you, will give you all you need.

What worthless idols are you clinging to? God does not waste anything. He always has so much more to offer you!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Instagram Feed