I don't read my Bible enough

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

One thing that gives me life is reading God's Word and journalling.

But I don't do it enough.

There I said it. I don't read my Bible enough. I'm not good at being a read-your-Bible-everyday kind of Christian. There's too much pressure for me, there's too much guilt for me, and there ends up being too much reading and not enough understanding, not enough applying, not enough doing. I don't like just ticking boxes.

I like getting deep into God's Word. I like journalling. I like imagining how I'd write a sermon around the passage. I like comparing translations. I like small chunks. I like achievable goals.

I've found a way that works for me, yet it's still a struggle.


A couple of weeks ago a girl in our life group emailed (thank you!) and suggested we read Genesis together by ourselves. I love together by yourself. There's the accountability without the guilt. There's time to catch up. It's where introverts and extroverts unite.

We're reading through Genesis in 30 days. It's not much but it's enough. Often I get so overwhelmed by the enormity of the Bible that instead of doing something, I do nothing. I've learnt that something is better than nothing... but I'm still learning.

Knowing what I have to read each day and having one page in my journal to write on a verse or two is freeing for me. It's life giving. It excites me. It makes me want to read and it makes me want to share.
I want to be excited by God's Word and I want to share it with others. 
I can't do this if I'm not reading it but I find it just as hard if I'm doing it to tick off a duty.

My way won't work for most of you. And your way – I have found – usually doesn't work for me.

If you can read your Bible every day, please do, and keep telling me to, because I want to. But don't judge me or make me feel guilty or let me not be able to be open with you because it's something I don't do.
I want a real relationship with God, not to tick off a list.
I want to connect with God, not have some words go in and out.

I admire my friend who wakes at 5:15 each morning to spend 30 minutes getting ready and 30 minutes with God before work... but I can't do that. And I'm not her. So let me be me and connect with God and allow my relationship with him to be really real and ask me what he's saying to me. Because he's still talking. And the Bible is still important. It just might look different to me than it does to you.

So here's some freedom: find a way that works for you to connect with God. 
If you read the Bible every day and get through the Bible in a year, I respect you, thank you and need you in my life.
If you have a Bible verse on your mirror and read that each day, I respect you, thank you and need you in my life.
If you study the Bible with commentaries and different versions and the original text, I respect you, thank you and need you in my life.
If you sing in the shower and you're real with Jesus, I respect you, thank you and need you in my life.
Don't allow this freedom to let you disconnect, but let it help you dig in.

Let's be real with God. Let's embrace the freedom he offers and remove the guilt we feel.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Instagram Feed