You're rain: so rain.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

I write a journal to my baby girl. It's me sharing my mothering journey with her – the good and (some of) the bad; and me telling her about who she is. I hope it brings her life, freedom, insight and hope when she's older. I can't wait for her to read it.

I just write in it when I feel led to; when a thought comes to mind or I want to share something with her. 

The other day I wrote a whole lot of things I love about her and things that she does. Then at the end I wrote this:

I love it that you are you and you are completely living that. That you don't care what anyone thinks. You just do what you do and you love that. Don't stop doing that!! I love all the things you do, even the things I wish you did less, because they make you you. And I love you!

That evening I was reading Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist and I read something very similar to what I wrote to my baby girl – but for me...
God's voice thunders in marvellous ways;
he does great things beyond our understanding.
He says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth,'
and to the rain shower, 'Be a mighty downpour.'
Job 37:5-6


God says to the snow, "Fall on the earth." That's it. Just do one thing. Just fall. And then he says to the rain shower, "Be a mighty downpour." Essentially, he's saying: just do the one thing I've actually created you to do. You're rain: so rain. You're snow: so snow.

I love the simplicity of that, the tremendous weight that takes off my shoulders. God's asking me to the thing he's already created me to be. And he's asking you to be the thing he's already created for you to be.

She goes on to ask what things he has made me to do – what comes effortlessly and easily? What things have I always loved and bring and joy and fulfilment? Do them!

What do you love? What do you do effortlessly and easily? What brings you joy and fulfilment? Do that! 
Just do the one thing that I've actually created you to do. Stop comparing, stop striving; be you.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Instagram Feed