This is God's country

Thursday, March 09, 2017

This is the first of seven blog posts that re-imagine Psalm 73 as journal entries.
If you want the whole story in one go, download the "book" or listen to the sermon.
This is Asaph's story. This is our story.

J A N U A R Y   2 6   / / 
It’s Australia Day and I’ve got to say I have an increasing feeling of uneasiness –
but it’s not my Dad’s tradition of cooking the barbie in nothing but his budgie smugglers and “World’s Best Cook” apron. Although that is disturbing.
It’s not the increasing pop-influence in the Triple-J Hottest 100. Seriously, how did Beyoncé even make it in?
It’s not the people who put the little Aussie flags on their car windows.
No, it’s a feeling of uneasiness about how to celebrate as a nation.

What does Australia Day even mean?
Are we glorifying an invasion of Aboriginal land?
Are we excluding migrants and asylum seekers?
What does it mean to be a nation?

People claim that this is ‘God’s country.’
People call it the ‘great south land of the Holy Spirit.’
People say that this is a Christian nation, built on Christian values – but what does that mean?

Does God care about the prosperity of our country?


J A N U A R Y    2 7   / /  Psalm 73:1-3
Romans 8:28 came up in devotion this morning:
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him.”
Surely God loves his people. Surely God is good to us.
Surely God has been good to me.
But it’s not because of where I’m born or what rules I follow, no, God loves authentic worshippers;
who follow him with their whole heart.

But as for me,
well I haven’t always trusted the promise of Romans 8.
My faith failing, doubts are growing. I feel like I’m climbing up a slippery slope. Every step is a chance to fall…

Because I’ve seen the way others are living.
They’re not following God and it’s turning out alright for them. I’ve stalked their Instagram feed – the job, the friends, the car, the clothes… it’s all so perfect, so happy, so many “goals” hashtags.
I’ve got mad #FOMO.

I want what they have.
There’s none of that peace, that shalom, for me here.

We live in a prosperous and safe country, full of many prosperous and safe individuals. But despite the multitude of good things, it is still easy to feel like we're missing out - there's always something more. The thing is, God's plans are bigger than national security or individual success.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Instagram Feed