I am a pastor's wife

Friday, December 15, 2017

I am a pastor's wife.

My husband works as a pastor, and so that gives me the title of "pastor's wife."
There are lots of articles written for me and about me:
  • 12 Ways to Support your Pastor Husband
  • 10 Choices you will Never Regret Making as a Pastor's Wife
  • Pastor's Wife: Helper or Hindrance
  • 5 Types of Friends Ministry Wives Should Pursue
  • How to Mentor and Be Mentored (When you're a Pastor's Wife)
  • 7 Qualities to Look for in a Pastor's Wife
I don't like these titles (I haven't read many of the posts).
But I hate the thought of them. 
In fact, I don't even entertain the thought.

I don't think of myself as a "pastor's wife," any more than I can imagine someone thinking of themselves as an electrician's wife or an accountant's wife or a teacher's wife.
I didn't marry a pastor. I married Rodney.

So why this whole thing about pastor's wives?

It's because, within the church, pastor's and their wives, are often viewed differently. 
Outside of the church, I am treated just like everyone else.
But by many within, I am treated differently to any other member of a church.
Sometimes people are very polite, a bit fake and on their best behaviour;
When in fact, all I want to do is get alongside people, know their stories and for them to be real.
When I have coffee with people, I share my story, my joys and struggles.

Sure, we are there to serve the church, be supported by the church, and lead the church;
We do have a different role to other members of the church;
But we're just people.

I'd rewrite those blog posts:
  • 12 Ways to Support your Pastor Husband
  • 10 Choices you will Never Regret Making as a Pastor's Wife
  • Pastor's Wife: Helper or Hindrance
  • 5 Types of Friends Ministry Wives Should Pursue You Should Be
  • How to Mentor and Be Mentored (When you're a Pastor's Wife)
  • 7 Qualities to Look for in a Pastor's Wife
Ok, I'm not really into many blog posts telling me how to do these things, but pastor's wives are really just wives.
In fact, they're more than wives, they're amazing women with skills and talents and dreams and passions of their own.

Anyway, this isn't a blog post on pastor's wives, it's still an Advent post.

Not crying Jesus: crying #babygirlthearle
I wonder how those who knew Jesus – as a Bible teacher, miracle worker, chosen one – treated him. Were they on their best behaviour? Were they very polite and a little bit fake? Did they have all the answers?

I wonder how those he met along the journey treated him. Did they share their hearts? Were they real with him? Did they listen to him and ask for his advice?

Despite what Away In A Manger says, Jesus did cry.
Jesus is God...
But he became a man so that he could share in our humanity.

The writer of the Christmas carol, in writing "little Lord Jesus no crying he makes," has a wrong view of Jesus. 
I'm sure Jesus cried. 
I'm sure Mary found it hard as a mother.
I'm sure he often wouldn't go to sleep.
I'm sure he had all of the bodily functions babies are known for.

He was a perfect – sinless – human, but at the same time he was just like any other baby.
Just like us.

How do you view Jesus?
Does your version of Jesus cry?
Are you intimidated by his title, by his perfection, by his holiness?

Or do you treat him as one there to serve us, to get alongside us, to share in our stories and pains and joys.
Are you real with Jesus?
He has shared everything with you,
And wants you to give your all to him.
Now is the perfect time.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Instagram Feed