Share a meal

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

I was invited to a Christmas dinner tonight. I shared the meal, in a local backyard, with a dozen or so people, three of whom I'd met before. We all brought something to share:

  • Quiche from homegrown leeks and eggs from her ducks;
  • Homemade rye sourdough that was prepared from 6am this morning;
  • Broad beans from their garden;
  • Lasagne made with milk and beef from their organic dairy farm;
  • Cucumber prepared in a way from their travels to Canada;
  • Guacamole mashed while we were there.
We sat around the backyard on mismatched chairs, drinking out of whatever cups could be found, with the food in the middle; chatting and making friends. 
I learnt about organic farming, family violence, ideas to improve the way our community eats and the process of making sourdough, to name a few... and I had to leave early.

Conversations like these don't just happen. 
People need to be brought together to foster connection. 
To meet new people. 
For paths to cross.
There's nothing like sharing a meal that allows this.

There was no pretense. Just people, who love food, sharing with one another.

Photo by 44 Degrees North on Unsplash
As I was leaving, the host asked me: do you know your neighbours?

I made excuses. 
I've tried to look friendly, I've waved and they haven't waved back...
But I guess I haven't actually been friendly. I haven't invited them in to my home. I haven't shared a meal.

He said, What I do is take bread. When I have a free weekend, I break bread with people. There's nothing like sharing a meal that brings people together.

And this is exactly what he did tonight.

And that's exactly what Jesus was like:
He knew his neighbours,
He shared meals with people.

It's so easy to make excuses:
It's too scary.
It's too costly.
I'm too busy.*

But they're just that...
excuses.

Sharing a meal is about showing hospitality instead of entertaining. 
Chester differentiates the two:
“the focus of entertaining is impressing others; 
the focus of true hospitality is serving others.”

And that's what Jesus came to do.
He had a humble birth.
He gave up his rights as God and became human so we could know God.
He came to live with us.
He was vulnerable.
He came to serve.
He shared meals.
He shared his life.

Serving others is costly. 
But it’s worth it

You’re going to eat anyway, so why not do it with others!

* Excuses identified by Tim Chester in his book, A Meal with Jesus.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Instagram Feed