The drama that interrupts the world

Friday, December 01, 2017


"This drama interrupts our world but it is also for our world. This is the unexpected beauty of Christ the King that we allow to be rebirthed in our heart during Advent." 
Dr Kate Harrison Brennan*
Photo by Inbal Malca on Unsplash
Christmas comes around each year: for some, it comes around so quickly; for others, it couldn't be slower. Some count down in excitement for what feels like months; others dread it, wishing it would never eventuate. Fundamentally, I think we all go one way or another: we get caught up in the chaos of it... or try to ignore it all together. 
I’m in a phase of ignoring it. As much as I love presents and decorations and fruit cake and celebrations, I kinda can’t be bothered. I can’t be bothered decorating my house, beautifully wrapping presents, baking once-a-year treats, hosting parties. I don’t have the energy or space. 

But Christmas does interrupt our world. And it should. 
But we get to choose how it does. What drama will you allow to interrupt your world?

During Advent - the days leading up to Christmas - we are given the beautiful opportunity to stop and choose how we interact with Christmas. Are we going to ignore it, are we going to get caught up in the chaos, or are we going to make space for “the unexpected beauty of Christ the King ... to be rebirthed in our heart”? 

There is drama at this time of year. But what drama will you interact with? The drama of the chaos of consumerism or the drama of the birth of the Saviour to be rebirthed in us?

I’m choosing the latter. 
I’m choosing to slow down and intentionally make space to reflect on the reality that Christ the King came to be with us, and allow that to be rebirthed in my heart - interrupting my world, and the world. 

Christmas is for me, and it is for you.

Join me. This Advent, allow him to change you and your world, and the world around us.

* One way that I am stopping and slowing down is by following Common Grace’s Advent series: Unexpected Beauty. Sign up to it here. This quote was taken from today’s reflection.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Instagram Feed