There's something magical about Christmas

Thursday, December 07, 2017

We bought a Christmas tree today.

A real one.
We went to the farm,
chose our tree,
the man cut it down,
and then our car smelt like Christmas.

There's something magical about a Christmas tree farm.


Row after row after row of trees, varying in shape and size.
Huge trees, brand new trees, stumps showing the cycle;
reminding us of this shared story.
Children running through the trees, hiding and laughing.
Everyone breathing in that Christmas scent.
Preparing to adorn the tree with decorations.
Imagining, with anticipation, the presents that will be under it.

There's something magical about Christmas.

Today I experienced this wonder.
Choosing the perfect tree,
Sharing the joy with my daughter.
Breathing it all in.


I don't want to miss the joy of Christmas.

But the real joy of Christmas is not in the tree
– as wonderful as it is.
It's not in the gifts
– as thoughtful as they are.
It's not in the food
– as delicious as it will be.

The joy of Christmas is in Jesus.
The joy that brings peace, and healing, and life.
The joy that is offered all year long.

I want the tree to remind me of the magic of Christmas.
I want the magic of Christmas to remind me of the joy on offer.
I want the joy on offer to open my eyes to the mystery of Jesus.
I want the mystery of Jesus to bring me to a place of wonder.

May we never lose our wonder
May we never lose our wonder
Wide eyed and mystified
May we be just like a child
Staring at the beauty of our King
Amanda Cook, Bethel Music

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Instagram Feed